PRTESOL is a not-for-profit professional organization that is dedicated to:
- promoting scholarship and professional development;
- providing opportunities for study and research;
- disseminating information and research on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages
- working cooperatively towards the improvement of instruction in all programs which seek to provide students with the opportunity to become proficient English language learners;
- coordinating information with local, stateside, and international professional organizations with similar goals;
- promoting the recognition of English as an additional language tool for communication, and not as a supplanting means of expression at the expense of the learners' native language and culture.